Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Our first doctor visit

I went to the doctor for the first time on September 18th. I finally picked a doctor and am happy with my choice. The worst part about it is that the doctor's office is in Bloomington and I have to drive a half an hour to get there. It is a pain but there are no doctors here in Bedford where I live that I would trust. Anyway Terry was able to come and we brought Porter too. That was mistake and we will never do that again. What was I thinking bringing a little 1 1/2 year old that wants to get into everything to sit in a quiet waiting room at a doctors office. It was quite the nightmare you can all imagine. We finally got back to see the doctor after the one we scheduled to be with was called out to deliver a baby. We got to meet the doctor and he just asked a couple of questions. We listened to the heart beat and we were done. I couldn't believe it, that was it. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was definitely different from when I was pregnant with Porter. With Porter we were so in tune with everything going on and it was the first time and when we heard the heart beat I looked over at Terry and tears were in his eyes. It was a very warm, intimate moment. This time I was worried about Porter jumping on the doctors lap to get on the wheelie chair or getting in to the cabinet under the sink that I hardly just took a calming breath and thought "this is our new little babies heart beat." I looked over at Terry and he was wrestling Porter and certainly was not having the quiet moment of joy that we both expected. It still was good and had to take that moment of reflection in the car since I was alone as I drove home and reflect on what this really meant and how truly wonderful it was. We are so excited and really wish we could hear the heartbeat every day. We won't be able to find out what it is for at least 4 weeks. It has flown by and can't believe that I am almost 16 weeks along.

Although Porter is a handful he is truly my little buddy and I can't imagine a day of play without him. We have hit a couple of milestones that I count as a huge weight of my shoulders. First of all he loves Toy Story and Toy Story 2 so will sit and watch them to give me a little break. Second of all last Sunday was the first Sunday that we made it through the whole sacrament meeting without having to take him out. I was bound and determined to make it happen so with my 2 full bags of tricks in hand I headed to church. You think I am exaggerating but I am not. I took markers, crayons, coloring books, stickers, toys of every kind, snacks, drinks, books, etc. I just pulled one thing out after another and he had a few moments of rebellion, but was easily soothed with the next thing that I had to grab his attention. Anyway I felt very happy about my accomplishment, mainly because now I know it is possible.

Sorry this entry is a lot of words, but I just haven't taken a lot of pictures lately. Hopefully next week will be better.

8 comments:

Mom said...

I loved your words. I just wish that you were here so I could hear you personally and see your face. Thanks so much for sharing all those good and wonderful details.

Bedkes said...

Oh yes I remember with Madison it was so different then with Blake. We learned the lesson the hard way to not take kids to mommy's doctor appointments. So are you due around my birthday? March babies are pretty cute!

Anonymous said...

I am way excited to hear you have number two on the way. I hope your pregnancy is treating you well.

Laura said...

I haven't had a second, but I can imagine it's different -- I mean, with the first baby, you are just SO excited and everything is new and different. I am excited to (someday!) have a second, but I can just imagine being WAY excited, but not so overwhelmed. I probably don't make sense. Anyways... it so fun to hear the heart beat! Oh- and Sydney is getting SO hard at church. Thanks for the idea of 2 bags FULL of stuff. I think I'll try that next Sunday!!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting that you heard the heartbeat! I am so excited for you guys. See you soon!

Sam and Mary said...

So what is your due date? Did you get my message this morning--if not call me. :)

Liz  said...

I felt the exact same way taking Gracee to doctor visits, in fact I am sure the nurses cringed every time they saw it was me and my little girl! Gracee got into every drawer, climbed on everything and of course I was a nervous wreck!!
I am with Mary I want to know your due date! How are you feeling? That Unisom drug doesn't do anything to the baby? Is Porter talking?
And one last ?... When are you coming to Idaho???
Love ya:)

Marianna said...

I agree with Liz when are you coming to Idaho!!!! I feel like we haven't talked in ages. You better call me the second you find out what your having!!! It sounds like Porter is turnign into the cutest little boy. I can't wait to se you agian!!! oh and tell terry his favorite sister in-law says hi:) Oh and if you ahve any good study tips feel free to share. I'm just about to go fail my psychology test:(