Friday, March 14, 2008

So whats Terry up to these days?


Well Bethany has encouraged me more than once to write some entries to the blog which I have only done once now. However, I think it is about time to bore you once again. This year has been crazy for me. I started three new jobs. The first is by far the least favorite. I supervise in-school detention and after school at Bedford North Lawrence High School (which is the high school I went to). I get to deal with the kids that are discipline problems, don't know when to get to class on time or like to skip school. It's not that bad but it's not teaching. There are some great opportunities for being able to teach next year with teachers retiring and I am doing and saying everything I can to be able to get one of the spots. The other two jobs are time consuming but I love doing them. I am the assistant coach for the boys swim team at my high school and the assistant coach for the local Lawrence county swim club, which is basically a feeder program for the high school team. The other guy I coach with is the head coach of both the teams as well. We get along great, work well with each other and have fun. It is much different and better than last years coaching experience (check out the blog entry about our sectional win). I have been coaching solid for almost 7 months and now we have a three week break before the club season starts up in April. I am looking forward to getting home at 4 o'clock rather than 8 o'clock and being able to spend more time with Bethany and Porter and with the weather getting warmer hopefully that time will be outside as much as possible.
Well if you didn't know this by now I am a little over weight. When Bethany and I were married I weighed 220 lbs. from then until now I have ballooned to 257lbs. I know, I know, very unhealthy and very depressing. However, I am going to remedy that problem. The school district I work for has gotten together with one of the gyms in town and have started a contest. They have started a biggest loser challenge, much like the T.V. show. there are over 100 contestants. We get limited memberships to the gym and free diet counseling. In order to be in the contest we had to take a health screening and measurements and all that stuff. Needless to say after I was done with all my pre-contest health tests I was very depressed. I dare not share the details in fear of making you think less of me. Needless to say I need a big health change if I want to enjoy life for years to come.
Along with all this I am the first counselor in the young men's presidency in our ward. We have a good scout program and some great boys. All the guys in the presidency are really good guys that I get along well with and we have a lot of fun. This Saturday is the young men's stake basketball tournament and it has fallen upon me to be coach. This hasn't happened because of my superior basketball skills or knowledge but rather because all the other leaders are busy on Saturday. I think it will be fun and we have a really good shot at winning. Well that's whats going on with me. I know there are no cool pictures or anything, lets face it people only want to see pictures of Porter but if your lucky I will find a picture gem and put it on here some time.

6 comments:

Olivia said...

Love the picture and the post. Honestly Terry the more I get to know you the more I like you. Hope the job works out the way your hoping - You deserve to be in just the right position for you.

Marthea said...

When did you get so cool. Sounds like life is pretty good. We miss you guys out here but we hope you all stay happy. Dave Knudsen also wanted me to say hello. Take care. See ya soom. Marthea

Anonymous said...

Terry...

Your license is social studies, right? Are you wanting to be at BNL, or would you come to BMS if something were available?

Congrats on joining the Jonathan's thing! You'll do great!

Love,
Jo

Anonymous said...

Nice picture! That one really cracked me up. Good luck with the Biggest Loser! I love that TV show.

Brad said...

Terry,
Gotta love the Raybans, and your making my tired just thinking about the three jobs thing. I feel lucky that I have so far escaped having even just one job.

I have to say that I am excited for your new weight loss challenge, Just today before I was reading your post I was contemplating how I am going to get myself in gear to lose a bunch of the extra gut that I have been packing around for the last few years. Now you have inspired me to take some action as well. Good luck, I know it will be well worth it in the end.

Liz  said...

Terry, great post, I should have made Ruffin write the one about himself. Ruffin and I both love the picture, those glasses are great!
Now it's time for Bethany to do a post all about her!