Thursday, April 24, 2008

History Fest

Here I am at the History Fest. I wasn't looking forward to going, but Terry was so excited. I am amazed that every time I go with Terry and do something that I think I won't like, I find something interesting. This time amidst the many booths of guns and old war items there was one booth of lace making. I headed towards the booth thinking that it was a quilting booth and as I got closer it was this guy making lace and teaching lessons on how to make it. I added a line into this lace, it is almost like weaving using the bobbins that are hanging to go over and under and twist them to make a certain pattern. I have never seen how it was done before and was surprised to see how it was made. It is a very detailed process that takes hours and hours for a tiny strip.

Terry of course went to see the different battle reenactments. We saw one from world war II, which I didn't think was any different than watching grown men play cowboys and indians in camouflage. Terry loved it though and rattled off how neat all the different guns and granades were. We also saw a civil war reenactment which you can see in the background of these pictures. It wasn't too exciting, but Terry thought it was cool to see them in uniform and to see the guns and the different war techniques in action.
This picture shows them shooting off some cannons.

3 comments:

Olivia said...

Tell Terry that I'm going to come East and we can go to Gettysburg in July and see the reenactments and I'll be very excited about it and if your not we'll leave you home! Just kidding:-) there's other things in Gettysburg that you would like besides people playing civil war. There is the Boyd's Bear Factory - four floors of stuffed bears - it really is a fun place. Liz wants to go SO bad - maybe we could all go and have a real fun time!

Olivia said...

I just read your comment on my blog and I'm so happy you finally saw it. I had thought that you had seen it and was upset that I posted that picture. It makes me smile every time I see it in my photos and thought that it was the perfect picture for that post. I love ya and am glad that even though we are all far apart these blogs help us to be close.

The Wynn Family said...

Fun. We love to go and try new things. But Civil War reenactments usually don't make their way to Las Vegas!